Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend Cooking - Applesauce

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


This week I'm going to share a recipe on how to make applesauce.  I'm sure there are a ton floating around on the internet, but this one is from my Grandma and she has been making it for years.  She's been making it so long, she can't even remember who taught her the recipe.   In fact, she doesn't even have the recipe written down. She just adds a little of this, a little of that, a little more of this, etc. This does not make it easy for somebody like me who has no cooking skills and needs specific amounts. haha!   My sister tries to make it every year but it never turns out as good as when my Grandma makes it (or so she says..I've never had hers), so yesterday we went to my Grandma's house and made applesauce and I wrote down what she did.   Ok, I admit, I didn't make the applesauce, I took pictures and played with my nephew.  However I checked in on the progress and helped with dinner (even if it was just making garlic bread).


Applesauce
10 apples
1/4 cup water - or more
1 cup sugar
Cinnamon - to taste
3 tbsp butter


Peel and cut the apples.  Don't make the apple pieces too small though.

Put apples in a big pan on the stove, add roughly 1/4 cup water.   If your apples are really juicy you won't have to add more water, but as you cook if you think more water is needed, add it.   Cook apples on medium heat.

Once the apples are soft, keep them on the stove and mash them.   For ours, it took about 30 min to get soft. Mash as much or as little as you want. It just depends on if you want a lot of apple chunks or if you want it smoother.

While you are mashing the applies, add the sugar a little at a time.  Taste once in awhile so you know if you want to add more or stop with the amount added.  Add the cinnamon to taste.  Add about 3 tbsp butter.

Once you have the amount of sugar, cinnamon, and butter that you want and you have the consistency you want, remove from the heat and let cool.

**the ingredients are based on 10 apples because that's how many my sister brought with her.  You can use more, you'll just have to make the appropriet changes.


As you can probably see, this is a recipe that you will have to play with until you get it right.  It's all about trial and error and what tickles your fancy while making it.   My Grandma does freeze her applesauce. I didn't ask how long it lasts, but I know we have it for dinners all year round when we are at her house so it does last awhile.

As for me, my sister was nice enough to give me some to take home so I won't have to attempt making this myself for a bit.  When I do, it will be interesting, I'm not the best cook (although I'm a damn good baker).

No comments:

Post a Comment