Friday, November 12, 2010

Great Wall Marathon? Oh dear

Remember this post, the one where I said one of my bucket list items was to run a 5k or a 10k on the Great Wall of China?

I actually found out, by accident, that there is such a thing.  While the main race is a marathon, a half-marathon, 10k, and 5k are also offered on the same day.  Before I realized that, let me tell you, for the first time ever I seriously considered training for a marathon.  For the first time ever I thought I could actually do it.  Then I found out I could do a lower mileage race and wiped my brow.  If I did it, and by golly I truly want to, I think my focus would be on the half-marathon.   Reading more about it, I find that the entire race is not run on the wall but parts of it are.  That's good enough for me.

I looked at the pricing for May 2011, it seems you can only sign up as a package deal.  I'm ok with that too, if I'm going to China I want to see some of the sights as well.    May 2011 won't happen, but now that I know it's a real thing, I'm going to keep thinking about it. I'm going to actually train for a half-marathon and work on running one or two a year and one day, I'll do this one.

The Great Wall Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment