Saturday, November 13, 2010

Running update

I thought I would pop-in with a running update for all of you.  Not sure if anybody really cares, but it's a major part of my life, so I'm going to talk about it.

I think I've mentioned it before, but if not, I'm currently in training for a 10 mile race that's in a couple of weeks.  It's on the 27th of November, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  What better way to burn off all the Thanksgiving food than a long run right?  Ok fine, I'll be honest, I think I'm the only person in the US who is not fond of traditional Thanksgiving food and therefore doesn't over-indulge.  However, I know there will be dessert (because I'm making it for one gathering) and I do love dessert.  

Back on point, 10 miles.  The last time I ran 10 miles was for this same race, The Great River Road Run.  This was way back in highschool, I do believe it was 1993. I might be wrong, but I can check because I still have the sweatshirt.    After that, I pretty much stuck to 5k (3.1 miles).    So working up towards 10 miles was a big push for me.  I had gotten to where I was running 4 miles in the morning, and sometimes running 5-6 on the weekend.   

Three weekends ago I was supposed to run 8 miles, but got lost (that's pretty common for me) at Castlewood Park and ended up running 9.  Then the following weekend my training schedule was to just do an easy 5 mile run.  Then last weekend I was supposed to do 9, but suffering a cold.  I did run all week but got out to run 5 miles on Sunday.    I'm hoping to get out and run 9 miles this weekend. Fingers crossed I do ok.  Last time I had major hip pain for the last 4 miles or so and I hope I don't have a repeat of that.

I'm getting nervous for the race. I'm just not used to the long miles.  I only have two more weekends to get in a long run and be prepared for it.   Stay tuned for updates on how my training is going and how the race turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment