Friday, November 11, 2011

Every day should be Veterans Day

I'm glad the US sets aside at least one day to honor our veterans.  I feel this should be done every day, and I know a lot do, but I'm still happy we have one dedicated day.  A lot of countries don't.

My paternal Grandfather and my paternal Grandmother's brother (whom we called Uncle) both enlisted the day after Pearl Harbor.   According to them it was the right thing to do.  I think we can all agree that it was actions like this that have many calling them the "greatest generation".


My Grandmother's Brother,
my Grandmother, and
my Grandfather
Nov. 26, 1944
 My Grandfather joined the Navy and served on the USS Perry until it was sunk due to a mine explosion (luckily my Grandfather was not on board when this happened).   My Uncle joined the Air Force and ended up making a career of it.

While both men had different reactions to fighting in the war and were effected differently, both deserved to be honored for their willingness to give up their lives to fight for our country, to fight for what they believed in.

While my Uncle is no longer with us and I am unable to thank him for his service, I do make it a point to thank my Grandfather on Veterans Day every year. 

My Uncle was buried at a local veterans cemetary, Jefferson Barracks.  This was the first, and possibly the only, military funeral I'll attend (My Grandfather does not want a military burial).  While I know how this sounds, I'm just going to say it. I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience a military burial at some time.  There is just something about it that really touched me and made me proud to have a family member who served. 

I also take time on this day to contact a good friend and let her know I'm thinking of her and her family.  Her son was killed in action 2 years ago.  He was still a teenager.  It always makes my heart heavy because he died so young and had so much yet to experience in life.  Yet I thank him and I appreciate his willingness to serve our country in a war that many don't understand or feel the need for.

Today is for these gentlemen.  Those who were brave and loved their country enough to risk losing their life so we could remain safe and free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment