Thursday, March 24, 2011

Change the World Wednesday - using a Clothes line instead of a dryer





Dry your clothes on a clothes line instead of in an electric drier. Electric driers use up to 10% of residential electricity in the United States. The average household can save more than $100 a year by forgoing the electric clothes dryer and using a clothesline. Clothes dried in the fresh air smell better, too! Some say that you can soften your towels and prevent them from drying stiff on the line by adding a ½ cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.

I haven't been answering all of the daily change the world Wednesday posts but want to touch on this one.

I can't use an outside line due to allergies but earlier this year I hung up two lines in my laundry room inside.  While most clothes I will put in the dryer, I have a lot of loads where not everything dries the first time through and instead of putting the items through the dryer a 2nd time, I've started to hang them up.  I'm loving it so far!  I really feel like I'm not wasting electricity to dry the clothes and because it's inside I know I don't have to deal with the allergies.  

I did create a post about this already, so instead of basically re-writing the post, I'm just going to link to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment